Friday, April 09, 2010

Dhone Paataa’r Chaatney

Any paratha or a simple Indian vegetarian meal will get rejuvenated with the Dhone Paataa’r Chaatney (Coriander Chutney). I promise.

Its the condiment which is made in every Bengali home during winters when the price of fresh coriander in India is less. My memories of this chutney is of our domestic help grinding its ingredients with great energy on the sheel-baata (flat grinding stone). Something like this…
stone grinderShe would then carefully add each ingredient one by one to mix well into a smooth chutney. But thanks to modern day food processors, we can make the same chutney in under 10 seconds. However the smallest changes make a big difference.

Ingredients for Coriander Chutney are:

250 grams coriander (cleaned and washed, I prefer the young, small coriander leaves for added flavor)
One pod of garlic (8-10 fat cloves)
8-10 green chilies
Juice of one lemon
Salt

dhone pata chatThrow everything in at once except the salt and lemon juice in a food processor and blend until the chutney is smooth. Add very little water.

Add the lemon juice and season with salt. Dip a little finger, like I usually do and check for the right balance of taste. IMG_6014Store in a glass jar and refrigerate. This can stay up to a week in the fridge. Sneak it between burgers or savor it as a dip. Its a suitable condiment with just about anything!
IMG_6016

1 comment:

Anuradha Warrier said...

Hi, I was searching for images of the flat grinding stone for my photo gallery and found the the one that you have posted here on Google Images. I have linked back to your post from mine; if you have any objections, please email me and I shall remove it at once.